Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Breakfast: Hot Cereal With Bulgur & Figs

Eating a wholesome breakfast can be tough, and around this time of year I tend to find myself suddenly tired of oatmeal. (Not that I don't love you, oatmeal!) I'm not posting a photo with this recipe because I think we all know what a bowl of hot cereal looks like.
This morning I wanted some kind on non-oatmeal hot cereal, and I currently have quite a bit of bulgur wheat in the pantry, so I thought I'd try using that, and it was definitely a winner. It's got a nice chewy texture, similar to oat bran cereal, but less gummy, and it has a really good flavor. I think it would work to make a big batch of this during the weekend, portion out, and re-heat on weekday mornings.

To make 2 servings:
1 1/4 cups water
pinch of salt
1/2 cup bulgur wheat
generous pinch of cinnamon
tiny pinch of nutmeg
1/2 cup non-dairy milk of your choice
1/2 cup raisins
2 dried figs, chopped
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
brown sugar or maple syrup to taste

Add the water and salt to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir in the bulgur, cinnamon, nutmeg, figs, and raisins. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until all the water is absorbed, about 10 minutes. When the water is absorbed, add the non-dairy milk and continue to stir until most of the non-dairy milk is absorbed. Add the walnuts and sweeten to taste. This will warm you up and keep you satisfied and energized all morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment